Romy H Week 10 Glimmer of Hope in Society


Today, I naturally woke up at 7am, which is way too early for an F-day. I decided I would take the morning slow and treat myself to Dunkin. I realized that it would be packed, and I didn’t feel like waiting in line, so I placed a mobile order through the Dunkin app. I placed the order before I left my house, and by the time I got there, around 7 minutes later, my coffee was ready to get picked up. I parked my car, walked inside, and my drink was on the counter waiting for me to grab.

As I walked back to my car with my drink, I wondered how nobody ever takes my drink or someone else’s. When you do a mobile order, the orders are just sitting on the counter without anyone checking to confirm the right person is taking the right stuff. It’s honestly so easy to just walk in and grab someone else’s order, but this has never happened to me or anyone I know. I’ve placed plenty of mobile orders for Dunkin and Starbucks, and my drinks/food are always there waiting for me. 

This gives me some hope in society because many would think that there needs to be some level of confirmation when someone picks up their order. For now, I guess society is civil enough where people only take what they actually bought. If someone proposed this idea to me now before it existed, I would think that it’s stupid because people would just steal the food that is just sitting there. It makes me happy knowing that society has accepted the common courtesy to only take what you bought and be civil about the whole process. I am often pessimistic when it comes to judging society, but this realization gave me a glimmer of hope. Disclaimer: I’m aware that this might be exclusive to Boca, but still yay for Boca society then. I hope that the mobile order pickup system stays as it is because it’s so convenient, and serves as a symbol for how our hectic society can be civilized. 

Are you surprised by the mobile pickup system? Does this make you feel better about society in any way? Have you ever had or heard of a negative or different experience with this system?


Comments

  1. Hi Romy, I am slightly surprised by how the mobile system works fairly. At the same time, I think it makes sense that people follow the honor system because there is a social pressure to not steal. I would assume that in sketchy areas they don't do mobile pickup, but for most places I think that people would follow the system. I have noticed this in other areas as well, not just Boca. It's amazing how we can order from our phone and skip the line! Who would've thought!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ethan Week 3- “Looking at a Coyote”, by Javier Zamora