Dori Week 4- The Voice Review

    Hi everyone! As you all can relate to some extent, the process of writing and drafting a bunch of different college applications can be daunting and tiring. One of the ways I’ve been taking a break and “destressing” is watching The Voice. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the show, The Voice is a televised singing competition--similar to American Idol and X Factor--where singers “blind audition” (sing with the coaches’ backs turned) and try to impress at least one of the celebrity judges enough to turn their chair around (which means that they want to coach them). Then, singers battle against each other in the competition and have various live performances until there is one winner. There are usually four celebrity judges, and this season, they are Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton, John Legend, and Ariana Grande. I have watched clips of The Voice on YouTube before when they popped up in my recommendations, but this is my first time actually watching the season. This show has always been intriguing to me, and when I found out Ariana Grande was becoming a judge for this season, I knew I had to watch. 

    I’ve been loving The Voice so far for several reasons. First of all, the whole concept of the show is amazing. Because singers blind audition to be able to compete, it places emphasis solely on the talent, potential, and star quality of the singer rather than any other superficial qualities such as appearance. I also love how it gives singers from all different backgrounds recognition and the chance to pursue their musical goals, coached by talented, seasoned professionals. This show has exposed me to a variety of genres that I do not usually listen to but appreciate, including country, bluegrass, rock, and r&b. The Voice not only lets you learn about the competitors but the celebrities as well. For instance, Ariana Grande has usually kept many parts of her life private online, and seeing her judge on The Voice has allowed viewers to learn much more about her and how she interacts with people in real life. It’s endearing that singers have the chance to work with people who inspired them to begin music in the first place, and the feedback from the judges is interesting, making sense to even me, who is not a singer whatsoever (trust me on that one).   

    If you have the time to do so or are looking for a new show to watch, I definitely recommend trying The Voice. You can even get a taste for it by watching some videos from the show on YouTube: but be wary towards the end of the videos for spoilers of who the contestants pick as their coach/who wins the battles. Have any of you ever watched The Voice or any televised singing competition? If not, what are your favorite shows that you’ve been watching lately? 


Comments

  1. Hey Dori, I really enjoyed reading your blog! Just like you, I've also been trying to find shows/movies/games to destress and relax my mind for a little while, especially during such a stressful time like this. Obviously, I've heard about The Voice and seen countless commercials for it, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever truly sat down and watched it. I do understand the basic concept of it, like you explained, where the judges can't see the singer and can only reveal themselves to them if they decide to turn their Judge's chair. I can't lie, the concept of the show does make it sound entertaining, especially since the judges are so well known! Seeing some more personal sides to people like John Legend and Ariana Grande must be very interesting, so I will be sure to check out an episode of the Voice sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ethan Week 3- “Looking at a Coyote”, by Javier Zamora