Ellie Levin Week 2: Virtual Rosh Hashanah Forever?

 As we all know, last year’s Rosh Hashannah differed a lot from years past. Almost everyone I know streamed services from their home and didn’t go in person. I also experienced this and watched services from the comfort of my couch with my mom, dad, and dog. I have to say, I really enjoyed this experience. Being a rabbi’s kid, the expectations for the high holidays are much different than a normal Jewish teenager in Boca. This time of year is always extra stressful with having to find modest yet cute outfits to wear, waking up early in the morning and rushing out the door to head to temple, and my parents usually make me read Torah on the 2nd day as well. With the temple still at limited capacity this year, I made the conscious decision to opt-out and stay home, which I secretly wanted to do all along. I ended up still streaming services on a zoom with my siblings but being able to watch from my parents’ bed in my pajamas and being able to just roll out of bed and turn it on is so much easier and more enjoyable than the stress that usually comes with the holiday. I could honestly see myself doing this even when Covid is over and the world opens back up again. I also think this applies to other parts of life, not just the holidays. I was disappointed to hear that school would not have a virtual option because while I love coming in person and would most likely choose that over being virtual, it does have its benefits. Sometimes you just don’t have the energy to get up and get ready for school so being virtual was a plus and today, for example, I woke up feeling really nauseous and decided to stay home. I could’ve just zoomed my classes instead of missing them completely and getting unexcused absences. I personally feel that the way Covid has affected our world and how we have had to adapt is going to change how we live our lives indefinitely, with zoom being one of them. What do you think, do you prefer life after Covid or would you rather go back to how things used to be before quarantine and all that?



Comments

  1. Hey Ellie! I personally enjoy attending almost everything in person again, but I feel like virtual options will never go away. The convenience of zooming services from home is a popular option that I believe people will always want to have. It's kind of sad that people will always want to opt out of in person services in the future because I personally go to synagogue to shmooze. I guess we'll have to wait and see if people want to go back to in person services or stick with the convenience of staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellie! Everyone always talks about the world going back to normal after covid. Like you said, that is just not possible. We will always have more virtual options from now on. Life will never be exactly like it was before covid, so we should embrace this new way of being together online, like having an option to go on zoom for class if you feel sick.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ethan Week 3- “Looking at a Coyote”, by Javier Zamora